1 Peter 1:1-25
Note: Christians, in death, Jesus is waiting to receive you. Absent from the body, present with the Lord.
- Renew your minds to the things of God.
- We are to be obedient to Christ.
- v13 - So think clearly and exercise self-control. Look forward to the special blessings that will come to you at the return of Jesus Christ.
- We cannot become holy on our own, but God gives us His Holy Spirit to help us obey and to give us power to overcome sin. Don't use the excuse that can't help slipping sin. Rely on God's power to free you from sin's grip.
- THE DAYS OF LIFE - Genesis 6:3 - And the Lord said, My spirit shall not always strive with man,for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be a hundred and twenty years.; Psalm 90:10 - The days of our years are threescore years and ten; and if by reason of strength they be fourscore years, yet is their strength labour and sorrow; for it is soon cut off, and we fly away.
- v23 - For you have been born again. Your new life did not come from your earthly parents because the life they gave you will end in death. But this new life will last forever because it comes from he eternal, living word of God.
Luke 7:1-9 - v1 WhenJesus had finished saying all this, He went back to Capernaum. v2 Now the highly valued slave of a Roman officer was sick and near death. v3 When the officer heard about Jesus, he sent some respected Jewish leaders to ask Him to come and heal his slave. v4 So they earnestly begged Jesus to come with them and help the man. "If anyone deserves your help, it is he," they said, v5 for he loves the Jews and even built a synagogue for us." v6 So Jesus went with them. But just before they arrived at the house, the officer sent some friends to say, "Lord, don't trouble yourself by coming to my house, for I am not worthy of such an honor. v7 I am not even worthy to come and meet you. Just say the word from where you are, and my servant will be healed. v8 I know because I am under the authority of my superior officers, and I have authority over my soldiers. I only need to say, 'Go,' and they go, or 'Come,' and they come. And if I say to my slaves, 'Do this or that,' they do it." v9 When Jesus heard this, He was amazed. Turning to the crowd, He said, "I tell you, I haven't seen faith like this in all the land of Israel!"
Subject: Great Faith
- Do you have faith?
- Picture a unit of soldiers marching and one centurion on a horse, in command of the soldiers. He is confident, a man on a mission with a course and purpose. This is the Roman officer.
GREAT FAITH - Why the Roman Officer had it.
1. The officer had heard the Word of Jesus and sent elders to go and ask Jesus to heal his servant.
2. The officer had humility, saying "I am not worthy."
3. The officer was a person of compassion because he cared enough for his servant to ask for healing.
- Great faith can..........save a nation; uplift a burdened family; calm the masses; heal the sick.