Sunday, February 11, 2018
Sunday, January 28, 2018
The Whole Armor of God - Part 1
Blessed by God who has blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places!!! To get the gift we must go up!!! They are in the heavenly places and they cannot live anywhere else.
In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. Genesis 1:1 And God said, "Let there be light," and there was light. God saw that the light was good. Genesis 1:3-4
We have spiritual seasons when everything seems to go wrong or all is right. The season of exercising, planting, Christmas gifting, 4th of July celebration, etc.
We face time of joy and of sorrow.
God uses these seasons to teach us who He is.
Good and bad times allows us to grow closer to God.
We have Immanuel - God with us!!!
I am a living testimony.
We need God to get through the seasons of our lives.
How long, Lord, must I call for help, but you do not listen? Or cry out to you, "Violence!" but you do not save? Why do you make me look at injustice? Why do you tolerate wrongdoing? Destruction and violence are before me; there is strife, and conflict abounds. Therefore the law is paralyzed, and justice never prevails. The wicked hem in the righteous, so that justice is perverted Habakkuk 1:1-4
There is nothing new under the sun. Ecclesiastes 1:9
How often do you speak with God?
Cast all you cares on Him because He cares for you. 1 Peter 5:7
As you pray, are you in transmit mode? Meaning your finger is pressed on the transmit button and as soon as you've said what you want to say, you cut the connection.
Do you take time to listen to God? Have a dialogue with God not a monologue.
In verse 3-7 of Habakkuk, God said that He is doing something wonderful.
We do not understand God's way. God is God all by Himself.
In our humanity, we expect God to act one way but He has a plan that no one understands.
We need to pray constantly.
In the end, God's plan will be fully revealed.
The righteous shall by faith. Hebrews 10:38
We need to TRUST in the Lord in good times and in bad.
And we know that for those who love God all things work together for the good, for those who are called according to His purpose. Romans 8:28
Monday, January 15, 2018
The Whole Armor of God!
References: Bible.org; Matthew Henry; David Guzik - Blue Letter Bible; Bible Hub; Google
- We Christians are in a life's spiritual warfare with Satan. Our battle cannot be fought with metal, bullets, iron, or stones.
- In order to resist temptations and survive the many trials we face, God has provided a proper defense to stand firm in when Satan crosses our paths.
- For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
- The name Satan means adversary. Devil means accuser or slanderer. He is also called Adaddon which means destroyer.
- Satan is a spirit and so are his demons. He delights in bringing chaos into our lives.
- Satan and his demons are very powerful but God limits their power. They are not omnipresent or omniscient.
- We can't see Satan and since we cannot see him, temptations and trials seem to come out of nowhere.
- Satan uses deception to tempts us into sin. He portrays sin as so very attractive.
- But God provided the Whole Armor.
- We are to be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might. v10
- The belt is the first piece of equipment. it represents truth or sincerity to fight against lies and decept.
- The breastplate of righteousness. When we've repented and been forgiven of our sins and done right in the eyes of God (obeying God), our breastplate will protect us.
- Shod the feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace. We should be ready and eager to preach the Good News of the Kingdom of God.
- The shield of faith, above all, which enables us to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one. Faith protects the Christian in many ways just like Daniel in the lion's den; like Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego.
- The helmet of salvation. Salvation is free, provided by the incredible sacrifice of Jesus Christ. With salvation, we have the hope of eternal life.
- The sword of the Spirit which is the Word of God. In Hebrews 4:12 it says, "For the Word of God is living and powerful, and shaper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart."
- Jesus used the Word of God against Satan in the desert. Matthew 4:1-10
- We must remember to sharpen our swords by regularly studying the bible.
- Pray is last. We are to pray always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints.....
- Praying reminds us of the battles we face and strengthens our defenses against Satan. Prayer lets God know that we are fully committed to Him, praising Him in good times and bad times.
Philippians 3:13-14 - Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead. I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.
Topic: New Beginnings
- Everything has a beginning.
- In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. Genesis 1:1
- We have a new beginning because of what Christ did on Calvary.
- In life, we need to have a process of the order of things, one step at a times, to appreciate our daily lives.
- To everything there is a season, a time for every purpose under heaven. Ecclesiastes 3:1
- We should forget about the past. But we tend to want to hold onto it because it seems easier.
- Stop being chained to the past. You can't go and fix it.
- Do not be conformed to this world; but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is good and acceptable and perfect will of God. Romans 12:2
- Jesus died so that we may be forgiven and have a new beginning.
- Put on then, as God's chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassionate hearts kindness, humility, meekness, and patience, bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. And above all these put on love, which binds everything in perfect harmony. Colossians 3:12-14
- Focus on looking within yourself rather than on someone else.
- If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Romans 12:18
- Restore right relationships.
- Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold all things are become new. 2 Corinthians 5:17
Monday, December 11, 2017
Jesus was born in meekness, as one of the human race. This makes him approachable, accessible, and available to us so that we may seek Him for ourselves and not via a third party (minister, priest, etc.)
Psalm 51:10 - Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit form me.
Subject: What Is It About Me?!
- In this new age, most are all about "me."
- The selfie.
- But what about me and how I feel?
- Let's focus on me, people!
- Me definition - a name that I call myself; me, myself and I.
- Our focus should be on bettering ourselves through the Word of God and not on what we can do selfishly.
- We are so much more than ourselves.
- When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained; What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visits him? For thou has made him a little lower than the angels, and has crowned him with glory and honor. Thou made him to have dominion over the works of thy hands; thou has put all things under his feet: Psalm 8:3-6
Brown Chapel enjoyed a great lunch with our neighboring churches, Mr. Pleasant Baptist Church and Shiloh Baptist Church.
Monday, November 27, 2017
References: Google; BlueBible.org; ManSaysGodSays.com
Herod was sometimes very generous and good but he became insanely suspicious. Herod became a murderer who killed or had killed his wife, sons and mother-in-law. Herod became bitter and warped. Worshiping Jesus: Takes a risk. But small is the gate and narrow the way that leads to life, and only a few find it. Matthew 7:14; The highway of the upright is to depart from evil; He who watches his way preserves his life. Proverbs 16:17 We must know the Word of God. In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. John 1:1-2 We must come with a spirit of sacrifice and generosity. Take the time out to study the Word; to help others; to pray.
We say, “I feel all alone” God says Hebrews 13:5 – “Never will I leave you’ never will I forsake you.”
Matthew 2:1-2 - After Jesus was born in Bethlehem in Judea, during the time of King Herod, Magi from the east came to Jerusalem and asked, "Where is the one who has been born king of the Jews? We saw his star when it rose and have come to worship him."
Subject: What Did You Come To This Service For?
Herod was sometimes very generous and good but he became insanely suspicious.
Herod became a murderer who killed or had killed his wife, sons and mother-in-law.
Herod became bitter and warped.
Takes a risk. But small is the gate and narrow the way that leads to life, and only a few find it. Matthew 7:14; The highway of the upright is to depart from evil; He who watches his way preserves his life. Proverbs 16:17
We must know the Word of God. In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. John 1:1-2
We must come with a spirit of sacrifice and generosity. Take the time out to study the Word; to help others; to pray.
Sunday, November 12, 2017
Matthew 7:15 - Beware (Look out!) of false prophets who come disguised as harmless sheep, but are really wolves that will tear you apart!
Subject: The Other Side of Deceit!
- From the wolf's perspective, he is just trying to get by.
- We need to watch out for wolves.
- False prophets are convincing, cunning, charming, etc. They undermine and confuse the mind.
- We know that the truth will make you free. John 8:32
- We must put on the whole armor of God each and every day.
- We live in a world of deception and that deception looks really good sometimes.
- There is a way that appears to be right, but in the end it leads to death. Proverbs 14:12
- Be not deceived; God is not mocked. Galatians 6:7
- Jesus says to beware of those whose words sound religious but who are motivated by money, fame or power. We can tell who they might be because in their actions and words, they minimize Christ Jesus and glorify themselves.
- Read James Chapter 1
- The other side of deceit is the truth!
Sunday, October 22, 2017
Heaven Is For Real!
James 4:7-10 - Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Come near to God and He will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded. Grieve, mourn and wail. Change your laughter to mourning and your joy to gloom. Humble yourselves before the Lord, and He will life you up.
Subject: Submitting Yourselves To God!
- Put on the whole armor of God.
1. Submit to God: be subject to God; be ready and willing to listen to God; obey God. Be teachable, coachable and humble.
2. Resist the devil: closing ears and hearts to Satan's suggestions; don't be disrespectful; resist the devil and he will flee from you. Use the Word of God (Sword of Armor).
3. Draw near to God. Stay close to the consuming fire; Pray to God because He is well able to take of you; draw near to God and He will draw near to you; He promised never to leave us along. God will restore us.
4. Cleanse your hands and purify your double mindedness. Confession should be followed by deep sorrow, however, to not dwell in sorrow.
5. Lament and mourn and weep when we have fallen short of the God's Word. We should prostrate ourselves in earnest prayer.
6. Humble ourselves in the sight of the Lord.
Brown Chapel African Methodist Episcopal Church & Cemetery
J-oyful in tone
E-arnest in spirit
S-atisfying to the soul
U-plifting to all
S-ane in its appeal.
We invite you to leave comments whenever you see the "Comments are Welcome" area at the end of each post. You can also email us about information that you, the viewer, might have concerning our church history or just to keep in touch with us. Finally, we also, encourage you to become a "Follower" of our blog! This allows you to be notified when a new post appears.