Thursday, November 8, 2018
Sunday, October 14, 2018
Sermon by Rev. Mittie Muse, Sr.
Jeremiah 29:10-11 - This is what the Lord says: "When seventy years are completed for Babylon, I will come to you and fulfill my good promise to bring you back to this place. For I know the plans I have for you." declared the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
Subject: I'm Thinking About You
- Be careful who you listen to.
- Finding hope in a lie rather than standing in the truth is what most would do.
- Don't give up because of uncertainty.
- God already knows everything about us.
1. What you did in your past will cause you to deal with things in your present.
2. Just because your past looks bleak, God hasn't forgotten about you.
3. Because God was thinking about your past and present, He will prepare us for the future.
- God has been thinking about us down through the years.
- Remember, God has the last Word!!!
You can download a booklet by clicking on the following link:
Slideshow of Homecoming Booklet
Sunday, September 30, 2018
Tuesday, September 25, 2018
The Holy Spirit - Part 5
We Need to Seek the Holy Spirit Earnestly
- 1 Peter 4:14 - If you are insulted because of the name of Christ, you are blessed, for the Spirit of glory and of God rests on you.
- Jeremiah 29:13 - You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
- So why would we want to drift through our lives seeking so small of a portion of him?
- John 3:5 - Jesus answered, "Very truly I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless they are born of water and of the Spirit.
- 1 Corinthians 12:3 - Therefore I want you to know that no one who is speaking by the Spirit of God says, "Jesus is Lord," but the same Spirit distributes them.
- Romans 8:13 - For if you live according to the flesh, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live.
- 2 Thessalonians 2:13 - But we ought always to thank God for you, brothers and sisters loved by the Lord, because God chose you as first-fruits to be saved through the sanctifying work of the Spirit and through belief in the truth.
- Hebrews 12:14 - Make every effort to live in peace with everyone and to be holy; without holiness no one will see the Lord.
- Ephesians 1:17 - I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know Him better.
- 1 Corinthians 12:7 - Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good.
- Romans 8:11 - And if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies because of His Spirit who lives in you.
- no new birth
- no confession of the lordship of Christ
- no victory over sin
- no progress in sanctification
- no spiritual wisdom
- no spiritual gifts
- no resurrection from the dead
- As we become more like Christ, our problems arise from living as redeemed spirits in unredeemed bodies and in this unredeemed world.
- As the Holy Spirit continues to work in us, we can find joy growing in us which continually allows us to more in the image of Christ. Psalm 17:15 - "I shall be satisfied when I awake, with Thy likeness."
2 Chronicles 20:1-4 & 15 - After this, the Moabites and Ammonites with some of the Meunites came to wage war against Jehoshaphat. Some people came and told Jehoshaphat, "A vast army is coming against you from Edom, from the other side of the Dead Sea. If is already in Hazezon Tamar" (that is, En Gedi). Alarmed, Jehoshaphat resolved to inquire of the Lord, and he proclaimed a fast for all Judah. The people of Judah came together to seek help from the Lord; indeed, they cam from every town in Judah to seek him. He said: "Listen, King Jehoshaphat and all who live in Judah and Jerusalem! This is what the Lord says to you: 'Do not be afraid or discouraged because of this vast army. For the battle is not yours, but God's."
Topic: How Do We Win The Battles of Life in These Days of Our Lives?
- The Christian life is a battlefield for God.
- We need to put on the Whole Armor of God each day.
- Our battles are spiritual, political, relationships, financial, health wise, etc.
- Jehoshaphat had three enemies but to win he needed to.....
- Know who the enemy was
- Remove all emotion from the battle lest one gets beside ones self.
- Be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to anger. James 1:19
- God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7
- Take your burden to the Lord and leave it there.
- But seek ye first the kingdom of God and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. Matthew 6:33-34
- Men ought always to pray and not faint. Luke 18:1
- We should acknowledge that we need God's help.
- We must submit ourselves to God.
- God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble. James 4:6
- Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone. Colossians 4:6
- We must rely on the power of God.
- And if your eye be single to my glory, your whole bodies shall be filled with light.
- Remember, the battle has already been won!
Monday, September 17, 2018
Sunday, September 9, 2018
The Holy Spirit - Part 4
- All the forces of darkness will seek to confuse and obscure the light of truth in that hour. All the proportions of power in this world will appear to make God look distant, small, ineffective — like nothing. That is the goal of Satan and sin: to make God look useless and worthless. The work of the Holy Spirit in that hour — the work of the Spirit of truth — is to rest upon you with whatever measure of truth you will need in order to be faithful.
- Jesus said, "When the Spirit of truth comes.....He will glorify me." (John 16:13-14)'
- The ground and the center and the goal of all the truth the Spirit brings is the glory of Jesus Christ — the greatness, the excellency, the beauties of Jesus. The essence of the ministry of the Holy Spirit is to magnify the beauty of Christ in the human mind and heart. Therefore, in the hour of trial, he will not let us forget Jesus. Jesus said, “I am with you always, to the end of the age” (Matthew 28:20). Always. Including the final hour of testing. And the work of the Holy Spirit is to cause us to remember him, and to see him with the eyes of our hearts (2 Corinthians 3:17–18; Ephesians 1:17–18).
- "The Spirit of glory and of God rests upon you." (1 Peter 4:14) Which means at least two things: He causes us to feel that the glory we are losing here is not worth keeping, and the glory we are about to gain is infinitely better.
- The Spirit of glory will cause us to experience the reality of 1 Peter 5:10-11: "And after you have suffered a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to His eternal glory in Christ, will Himself restore, confirm, strengthen and establish you. To Him be the dominion forever and ever. Amen."
- In the hour of trial, the Holy Spirit will overcome your doubts and give you the assurance that you need.The Spirit of glory rest upon you, in the midst of the loss of all earthly glory, and testifies to your heart: "You are an heir of infinite glory. You belong to Christ. You will be glorified with Him. You may be sure of this."
- Jesus said, “Do not be anxious beforehand what you are to say, but say whatever is given you in that hour, for it is not you who speak, but the Holy Spirit” (Mark 13:11). The Spirit of glory and of God will rest upon you. If, in his power, he wants you speechless, you need say nothing. If he wants you to speak, he will give you words. Count on it. Trust him.
Sunday, August 26, 2018
The Holy Spirit - Part 3
Question from 2nd Sunday...What does "give up the ghost" mean?
Wednesday, August 15, 2018
Monday, August 13, 2018
The Holy Spirit - Part 2
- Genesis 6:3 - the Holy Spirit strives with man but as humans, our days are numbered.
- Ephesians 4:30 - The Holy Spirit can be grieved by us. (And grieve not the Holy Spirit of God, where by ye are sealed unto the day or redemption.) The four cardinal sins forbidden are regarded as grieving the Holy Spirit. This implies that there is a personal relationship with the Holy Spirit and man, that He would be grieved by our transgressions.
- Hebrews 10:29 - We can insult the Holy Spirit. (How much more severely do you think someone deserves to be punished who has trampled the Son of God underfoot, who has treated as an unholy thing the blood of the covenant that sanctified them, and who has insulted the Spirit of grace?) There is no middle ground between the highest reverence and utter contumely in this case; to those who did not receive Jesus as Lord; has treated with outrage and insult the Spirit of whose gifts he had been a partaker of.
- Acts 5:3 - The Holy Spirit can be lied to. (Then Peter said, "Ananias, how is it that Satan has so filled your heart that you have lied to the Holy Spirit and have kept for yourself some of the money you received for the land?) The Holy Spirit was in the apostles and well aware of the actions of Ananias and his wife. None but Satan could have been so bold as to influence his heart. Ananias lied against the Holy Spirit when he held back part of the price of the land which he had said that the whole was for charitable use.
- Matthew 12:31-32 - The Holy Spirit can be blasphemed. (And so I tell you, every kind of sin and slander can be forgiven, but blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven. Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come.) In these verses we see the gracious assurance of the pardon of all sin on the gospel. However, to deny the Holy Spirit, one is denying the power of God.
Matthew 9:27-31 - As Jesus went on from there, two blind men followed Him, calling out, "Have mercy on us, Son of David!" When He had gone indoors, the blind men came to Him, and He asked them, "Do you believe that I am able to do this?" "Yes, Lord," they replied. Then He touched their eyes and said, "According to your faith let it be done to you;" and their sight was restored. Jesus warned they sternly, "See that no one knows about this." But they went out and spread the news about Him all over that region.
Subject: How Does Jess Test Our Faith?
- What are you expecting God to do in your life?
- Faith is the substance hope for, the evidence of things unseen. Hebrews 11:1
- When we do what God expects of us, all is well.
- Whatever is not of faith, is sin.
- Without faith it is impossible to please God. Hebrews 11:6
- Improving faith is a test from God.
- Faith is like a muscle, we need to develop it by testing it.
- The testing of your faith develops perseverance. James 1:3
Through trials and tribulations
1 Peter 1:6-7 - In all this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials. These have come so that the proven genuineness of your faith-of greater worth than gold, which perishes 3ven though refined by fire-may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed.
Isaiah 48:10 - See, I have refined you, though not as silver; I have tested you in the furnace of affliction.
Through some of the demands He makes on our lives
God asks the seemingly impossible of us but it is through faith that we may accomplish it.
Hope and faith are positive expectations.
Through our dollars
Malachi 3:10 - Bring the full tithe into the storehouse, so that there may be food in My House. "Test Me in this," says the Lord of Hosts. "See if I will not open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that there will not be room enough to store it."
Luke 16:10 - Whoever is faithful with very little will also be faithful with much...
If all or needs were met immediately, we wouldn't need faith.
Isaiah 40:31 - But those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength; They shall mount p with wings like eagles; They shall run and not be weary; They shall walk and not faint.
Sunday, July 22, 2018
The Holy Spirit - Part 1
- 1 Timothy 3:16 - Beyond all question, the mystery from which true godliness springs is great: He appeared in the flesh, was vindicated by the Spirit, was seen by angels, was preached among the nations, was believed on in the world, was taken up in glory.
- 1 Corinthians 2:9-11 - However, as it is written: "What no eye has seen, what no ear has heard, and what no human mind has conceived" - the tings God has prepared for those who love Him - these are the things God has revealed to us by His Spirit. The Spirit searches all things, even the deep things of God. For who knows a person's thought except their own spirit within them? In the same way no one knows the thought of God except the Spirit of God. ( This is the Holy Spirit having knowledge.)
- 1 Corinthians 12:7-11 - Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. To one there is given through the Spirit a message of wisdom, to another a message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to a another speaking in different kinds of tongues, and to still another the interpretation of tongues. All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and He distributes them to each one, just as He determines. (This is the Holy Spirit distributing gifts as He wills.)
- Romans 8:27 - And He who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for God's people in accordance with the will of God. (This is the Holy Spirit who has a mind.)
- Romans 15:30 - I urge you, brothers and sisters, by our Lord Jesus Christ and by the love of the Spirit, to join me in my struggle by praying to God for me. (This is the Holy Spirit who love us.)
- John 15:26 & 16:13 - "When the Advocate comes, whom I will send to you from the Father - the Spirit of truth who goes out from the Father - He will testify about me. But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes He will guide you into all the truth. He will not speak on His own; He will speak only what He hears, and He will tell you what is yet to come. (This is the Holy Spirit testifying of Jesus and exalting God and Jesus over Himself.)
- Romans 8:26 - In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us through wordless groans. (This is the Holy Spirit interceding for us.)
- 1 John 2:20-27 - But you have an anointing from the Holy One, and all of you know the truth. I do not write to you because you do not know the truth. Who is the liar? It is whoever denies that Jesus is the Christ. Such a person is the antichrist - denying the Father and the Son. No one who denies the Son has the Father; whoever acknowledges the Son has the Father also. As for you, see that what you have heard from the beginning remains in you. If it does, you also will remain in the Son and in the Father. And this is what he promised us - eternal life. John 14:26 - But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.
2 Corinthians 10:3-5 - For though we live in the world, we do not wage war as the world does. The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.
Subject: The Christians Warfare
- John 8:32 - Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.
- The nature of this warfare, this Christian warfare is something we need to recognize because it can come in many guises such as a person, a place or a thing. And as we know Satan mimics God by using a small, still voice, whispering in you inner ear that you really need this or that or you really need to give this person a piece of your mind, etc.
- Satan's warfare is corrupt and evil, spiritual wickedness; idols, dishonesty, deceit & hypocrisy.
- Satan's stronghold is well guarded. We don't want to allow Satan to get a foot-hold or he will turn it into a stronghold in your life.
- We, however, have the Whole Armor of God.
- Satan wants every much to destroy us but our armor protects us at all times if we but use it.
- Ignorance to the things of God. Solution: We need to study to show thyself approved unto God. 2 Timothy 2:15
- Pride goes before destruction and a haughty spirit before fall. Proverbs 16:18 Solution: Because of the grace that God gave me, I can say to each of you: don' think of yourself more highly than you ought to think. Instead, be reasonable since God has measured out a portion of faith to each one of us. Romans 12:3
- Prejudice - openly downing another. Solution: We should weapons of God and not carnal weapons.
- Unbelief in God. Solution: The sum of Your Word is truth. And every one of Your righteous ordinances is everlasting. Psalm 119:160 "If you can?" said Jesus. "Everything is possible for one who believes." Immediately the boy's father exclaimed, "I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!" Mark 9:23-24
Brown Chapel African Methodist Episcopal Church & Cemetery
J-oyful in tone
E-arnest in spirit
S-atisfying to the soul
U-plifting to all
S-ane in its appeal.
We invite you to leave comments whenever you see the "Comments are Welcome" area at the end of each post. You can also email us about information that you, the viewer, might have concerning our church history or just to keep in touch with us. Finally, we also, encourage you to become a "Follower" of our blog! This allows you to be notified when a new post appears.