References: Google, David Guzik, Blue Letter Bible
Carnality in the Corinthian Church
- Paul warns the Christians of Corinth about their carnal ways.
- Though they have the Holy Spirit, they are not acting spiritually but of the flesh or immature Christians.
- The natural man is patterned after Adam and rejects the things of the Spirit. 1 Corinthians 2:14
- The spiritual man knows the things of God. 1 Corinthians 2:15
- The carnal man knows the things of God, but still acts more of the flesh.
- Paul says don't pattern after himself or Apollos (who is mighty in the scripture) but of Jesus who gave all salvation.
- Rewards aren't given according to our gifts, talents or successes but according to our own labor.
- Is your foundation built with precious stones or stray, marble or granite?
- Will what we've built our foundations with be able to stand the fire from God or will they be burned up?
- Let no one deceive himself. If anyone among you seems to be wise in this age, let him become a fool that he may become wise. For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, "He catches the wise in their own craftiness," and again, "The Lord knows the thoughts of the wise, that they are futile." 1 Corinthians 3:18-20
Proverbs 3:5-6 - v5 Thrust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not onto thine own understanding. v6 In all thy ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct they paths.
Subject: Trusting in the Lord
- Obey means to comply with
- Perilous means dangerous, unsafe
- Trust means having confidence or faith in
- God is conscience. God is all knowing and powerful.
- God is concerned. 1 Peter 5:7 - Cast all your cares upon Him, for He cares for you.
- God is capable (able). Ephesians 3:20 - Now unto Him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us.