(References: Google; Discover Revelation; Kay Arthur)
- Revelation 15 begins the preparation for the last seven bowls. God's wrath began with the seven seals and will be finished with the last seven bowls.
- As we've studied, God has poured out His wrath in judgment on early sinners. Adam's sin in the Garden of Eden; Noah's family was spared when God sent the flood that destroyed the whole world; Sodom and Gomorrah was destroyed by God with fire and brimstone.
- Revelation 16 describes the final seven bowls of the wrath of God which represents the climax of God's punishment of sinners during the Tribulation time.
- An angel says, "Thou art righteous, O Lord, which art, and wast, and shalt be, because thou hast judged thus."
- As terrible as these judgments are, they are deserved. God is the Judge of the world!
- Revelation 17 goes back and fills in some of what has already happened during the Tribulation. Babylon was begun by Nimrod who was a rebel before the Lord.
- The vision of the woman is detailed as follows:
- The great prostitute
- Who sits on many waters
- With her the kings of the earth committed adultery.
- The inhabitants of the earth were intoxicated with the wine of her adulteries.
- A woman sitting on a scarlet beast; dressed in purple and scarlet
- Glittering with gold, precious stones and pearls; she holds a golden cup filled with abominable stings and the filth of her adulteries
- On her forehead is written Mystery Babylon the Great, the Mother of Prostitutes and of the Abomination of the Earth.
- Drunk with the blood of the saints, the blood of those who bore testimony of Jesus.
- Had seven heads
- And ten horns
- The prostitute rides it
- The beast was, and is not, and will come up out of the bottomless pit and go to his destruction.
Perdition is mentions in this chapter. It means ruin or loss or damnable.
V14- Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid. V15- Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house. V16- Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.
Subject: The Light of the World
Snippet of Sermon
- This is personal that we are the lights of the world.
- If we live for Christ, we will glow like lights, showing others what Christ is like.
- We hide our light by (1) being quiet when we should speak, (2) going along with the crowd, (3) denying the light, (4) letting sin dim ur light, (5) not explaining our light to others, (6) ignoring the needs of other.
- We are to be beacons of truth, not allowing our lights to shut off to the rest of the world.
- In the beginning God said, "Let there be light," and there was light. Genesis 1:3
- Light reveals danger
- Light will expose what's in the darkness.
- We are a reflection of Christ.
- But you are not like that, for you are a chosen people. You are a kingdom of priests, God's hold nation, His very own possession. This is so you can show others the goodness of God, for He called you out of the darkness into His wonderful light. 1 Peter 2:9
- A Christian may be the only sermon some people may ever see. So, what kind of light are we reflecting? What vision is casted?
- Choose you this day, whom you will serve, as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
- We are both salt and light.
- You are the salt of the earth. But what good is salt if it has lost its flavor? Can you make it useful again? It will be thrown out and trampled underfoot as worthless. Matthew 5:13
- What does light do? It conquers the darkness; Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path. Psalm 119:105
- The purpose of light: Light is a witness to the lost; Light is shines on our good works; Light is to be a witness for our Lord.