- This letter was written to reassure Christians in their faith and to counteract false teachings.
- John was loved by Jesus.
- Jesus Christ is the Word of life from God.
- The distinguishing mark is "love."
- Light represents what is pure, good, holy, true and reliable. Darkness represents what is evil.
- If we say we have no sin, we are only fooling ourselves and refusing to accept the truth. But if we confess our sins to Him, He is faithful and just to forgive use and to cleanse us from every wrong.
Psalm 34:1-4 - I will bless the Lord at all times; His praise shall continually be in my mouth. My life makes its boast in the Lord; let the humble and afflicted hear and be glad. O magnify the Lord with me, and let us exalt His name together. I sought (inquired of) the Lord and required Him [of necessity and on the authority of His Word], and He heard me, and delivered me from all my fears.
Subject: "Dealing With Your Fears"
- We are born with little knowledge; We grow into childhood with many dreams but encounter dream killers and stealers.
- We begin to "settle" for what life has to offer.
- We should press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. Philippians 3:14
- What are we afraid of? Growing old, not having enough money, food, no love in our lives, our worth, etc.
- For God has not given us a spirit of fearfulness but of power, love and a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7
- God does not fail.
- Every praise is to our God.
- When praises go up, blessing come down.
- If we expose our fears and sins God is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 1 John 1:9
- There is no fear where love exists. Rather, perfect love banishes fear, for fear involves punishment, and the person who lives in fear has not been perfected in love. 1 John 4:18
- But if you refuse to serve the Lord, then choose this day whom you will serve. Joshua 24:15
- The Lord has given us a way to escape sin and fear by "confession."
- The closer we are to love, the further we are from fear.
- And you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free. John 8:32
- Jesus answered, "I am the way, the truth and the life; no man comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
- I sought the Lord, and He heard me and delivered me from all my fears. Psalm 34:4