Thursday, June 12, 2014

June 8, 2014

Sunday School
Hebrews 11:1-40


  • Faith is believing the Word of God.
  • Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
  • Jealousy can destroy faith
  • Enoch/Elijah/Jesus = God took up to be with Him
  • We are saved by grace through faith.
  • Our righteousness is but a filthy rag
  • We need a firm foundation
  • Abraham = the father of man

Lesson to be continued.

Sermon
Psalm 23:1-4 – v1 The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.  v2 He makes me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still waters.  v3 He restores my soul; He leads me in the paths of righteousness for His name’s sake.  v4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for He is with me; His rod and His staff they comfort me.
Subject: The Lord Is My Shepherd

David professed his joyful belief and trust in God.
I shall not want; but we want it all and we want it now; then we want even more.

Example of always wanting more....
by Mark Sanborn
    It was spring, but it was summer I wanted, the warm days and the great outdoors.
    It was summer, but it was fall I wanted, the colorful leaves and the cool, dry air.
    It was fall, but it was winter I wanted, the beautiful snow and the joy of the holiday season.
    It was winter, but it was spring I wanted, the warmth and the blossoming of nature.
    I was a child, but it was adulthood I wanted, the freedom and respect.
    I was 20, but it was 30 I wanted, to be mature and sophisticated.
    I was middle-aged, but it was 20 I wanted, the youth and the free spirit.
    I was retired, but it was middle-age I wanted, the presence of mind without limitations.
    My life was over and I never got what I wanted.


  • Philippians 4:11-12 –  v11 Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content. v12 I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: everywhere and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need.
  • We are the sheep of the pasture.
  • We have the good shepherd to watch over us.
  • Luke 15:4 - What man of you, having a hundred sheep, and having lost one of them, does not leave the ninety and nine in the wilderness and go after that which is lost, until he finds it?
  • We are like sheep. God cares and will find us.
  • Sheep cannot make it without their shepherd....and so it is with Christians.
  • If we are too busy in life with things, we miss that still, small voice. As Christians, we must take the time and be still.


Sheep will lie down when....

  1. They are full
  2. They are secure
  3. They are content


Christians....

  1. Be filled with the Word of God and His Spirit
  2. Be secure in the Word of the Lord
  3. And if we are filled with the Word and secure in it then we are content.



  • God has prepared a place for us
  • 1 Corinthians 10:12-13 - v12 So, you think you are standing firm be careful that you don't fall! v13 No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; He will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, He will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.
  • John 14:18 - I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you.
  • If we trust in God, we have no worries because God has worked out everything for us. If we only but TRUST in Him.

No comments:

Brown Chapel African Methodist Episcopal Church & Cemetery

Our Gospel is:
J-oyful in tone
E-arnest in spirit
S-atisfying to the soul
U-plifting to all
S-ane in its appeal.
Welcome to Brown Chapel A.M.E. Church blog.
We invite you to leave comments whenever you see the "Comments are Welcome" area at the end of each post. You can also email us about information that you, the viewer, might have concerning our church history or just to keep in touch with us. Finally, we also, encourage you to become a "Follower" of our blog! This allows you to be notified when a new post appears.

Videos

Please note: Some of the videos in this blog will appear blackened. This means that the video is only recorded in audio (no picture).

Slide Shows

If you are having trouble viewing each "show," click on the "X" at the right-hand top of each show to get rid of the ads.

Church Family

Veterans