1 Corinthians 1:1-31
Resources: Blue Letter Bible; David Guzik; Google
- Paul writes a letter to the Christians in the church of Corinth.
- Paul had gotten a message from the household of Chloe about the disturbing actions in Corinth.
- First Paul greets the church and identifies himself as an apostle of Christ.
- Paul knew that the city of Corinth was a large metropolis consisting of businesses a sea port, sports area, government, military and markets.
- The city of Corinth was out of control and in total contrast to the church.
- The church, itself had begun to have morality, government and spiritual problems along with doctrine and authority problems.
- Paul sought to lay a foundation for the church to get back on track.
- Paul thanks God in a prayer of thanksgiving - I always thank my God for you because of His grace given you in Christ Jesus. For in Him you have been enriched in every way - with all kinds of speech and with all knowledge - God thus confirming our testimony about Christ among you. Therefore you do not lack any spiritual gift as you eagerly wait for our Lord Jesus Christ to be revealed. He will also keep you firm to the end, so that you will be blameless on the day of our Lord Jesus Christ. God is faithful, who has called you into fellowship with His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord. 1 Corinthians 1:4-9
- Paul talked about being divided in the church, believing in Paul or Apollos or Peter (Cephas) instead of Christ.
- Christ is not divided?
- The Jews wanted a sign from God and the Gentiles sought wisdom, but Paul said that we preach Christ crucified.
- This was a stumbling block for the Jews and the Gentiles thought it foolishness.
- But God has chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise and God has chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are might. 1 Corinthians 1:27
Luke 9:23-24 - And He said to them all, if any man will come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily and follow Me. For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: but whosoever will lose his life for My sake, the same shall save it.
Subject: Engaged on the War Within
- Don't think more highly of yourself than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the faith God has distributed to each of you. Romans 12:3
- It is He that made us.
- We are to submit to the authority of God.
- We are to recognize God's lordship over us.
- Taking up our own crosses may be difficult but will lead to eternal life.
- Seek ye first the kingdom of God, and His righteousness; and all these things shall be added upon to. Matthew 6:33
- Make a DECISION to follow Jesus. Have a made up mind. Be very sure. But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
- DENY yourself. Set rules and guidelines. Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised. James 1:12
- Have a DEVOTION to God. Study to show yourself approved unto God, a workman that need not be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. 2 Timothy 2:15; share Christ with others; build a relationship with God through Jesus Christ.
- Have a DETERMINATION to follow Christ. Be steadfast, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your labor is not in vain in the Lord. 1 Corinthians 15:58