References: Google, Matthew Henry Bible Commentary
Acts 15 and 16
- Paul & Barnabas went to Antioch and heard men teaching Christian. "Unless you keep the ancient Jewish custom of circumcision taught by Moses, you cannot be saved."
- Paul & Barnabas disagreed with them strongly.
- Paul & Barnabas then went to Jerusalem & were welcomed by the whole church. They reported on what God has been doing through their ministry but some of the men who had been Pharisees before their conversion stood up and declared that all Gentile converts must be circumcised and be required to follow the law of Moses.
- Peter addressed everyone. Read Acts 15:7-18
- And so my judgment is that we should stop troubling the Gentiles who turn to God, except that we should write to them and tell them to abstain from eating meat sacrificed to idols, from sexual immorality, and from consuming blood of eating the meat of strangled animals. Acts 15:19-20
- For it seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us to lay no greater burden o you than these requirements. Acts 15:28
- Judas and Silas, both being prophets, spoke extensively to Christians, encouraging and strengthening their faith. Acts 15:32
- Paul has a second missionary journey.
- Paul and Silas set out on a second missionary journey to visit the cities Paul had preached in earlier. This time they set out by land rather than sea, traveling the Roman road through Cilicia and the Cilician Gates.
- The Spirit told them not to go into Asia, so they turned northward to Bithynia.
- Again the Spirit said no, so they turned west through Mysia to the harbor city of Troas.
- Paul and Silas went down to the place of prayer and were met with a demon-possessed slave girl. She was a fortune-teller who earned a lot of money for her masters. She followed along behind Paul and Silas shouting, "These men are servants of the Most High God, and they have come to tell you how to be saved." This went on day after day until Paul got so exasperated that he turned and spoke to the demon with her. "I command you in the name of Jesus Christ to come out of her," he said. And instantly it left her. Acts 16:16-18
- They were beaten, arrested and thrown into jail. Around midnight there was a great earthquake and the doors flew open, chains fell off. When the jailer woke up to see the prison doors open, he assumed the prisoners had escaped and drew his sword to kill himself. But Paul shouted to him, "Don't do it! We are all here!" Acts 16:22-28
- The jailer asked, "Sirs, what must I do to be saved?" They replied, "Believe on the Lord and you will be saved, along with your entire household." Acts 1629-31
II Samuel 9:1-3 - David asked, "is there anyone remaining from Saul's family I can show kindness to because of Jonathan?" There was a servant of Saul's family name Ziba. They summoned him to David, and the kind said to him, "Are you Ziba?" "I am your servant," is replied.
Subject: "Where Will YOu Find Grace?"
- Grace is unmerited favor from God.
- God desires us to have grace from Him
- Kindness comes from God that we do not deserve.
- Grace is the key.
- God has not given us a spirit of fearfulness, but one of power, love & sound judgment. 2 Timothy 1:7
- Based on the gift each one has received, use it to serve others, as good managers of the varied grace of God. 1 Peter 4:10
- But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To Him be the glory both now and to the day of eternity. Amen. 2 Peter 3:18
- Press toward the mark of the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. Philippians 3:14