References (Google, Matthew Henry, Bible Gateway, Life Application Bible)
- A new apostle is chosen - Matthias replaces Judas
- The Lord told his disciples of the work they were to do and to not depart until the pouring our of the Holy Spirit.
- Take heed of the desire of forbidden knowledge.
- Christ ascended shortly after.
- The Good News of Christ's resurrection was to be spread throughout the world and the arrival of the Holy Spirit after Jesus' ascent was anticipated and abounded in prayer.
- On the day of Pentecost, seven weeks after Jesus' resurrection, the believers were meeting together in one place when suddenly, there was a sound from heaven like the roaring of a mighty windstorm in the skies above them and it filled the house where they were meeting.
- Then, what looked like flames of tongues of fire appeared and settled on each of them.
- And everyone present was filled with the Holy Spirit and began speaking in other languages as the Holy Spirit gave them this ability.
- The Holy Spirit's arrival encouraged all to learn, to care, to fellowship and to worship.
Luke 2:8-11 - That night some shepherds were in the fields outside the village, guarding their flocks of sheep. Suddenly, an angel of the Lord appeared among them, and the radiance of the Lord's glory surrounded them. They were terribly frightened but the angel reassured them. "Don't be afraid," he said. "I bring you good news of great joy for everyone!"
- Advent means coming or visit.
- Advent begins four Sundays before Christmas
- From the beginning - Genesis 1:1-6 - In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. And the earth was wasted and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep: and the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. And God said, "Let there be light: and there was light." And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness. And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And there was evening and there was morning, one day.
- Profound things happens during the night.
- The night that Jesus was born, it was an ordinary night as shepherds tended their flocks. No one realized that the Savior was being born.
- An angel appeared with the message of the good news, great joy and glad tidings.
- God's promise has been fulfilled.